This bell shaped skirt is designed for knits, ponte, jersey, novelty sweater type knits. Lightly fitted in the hips, the style has a draped curve at the hem but reads as a slim lined skirt. It can be worn front to back or back to front!
- The fabric must have enough stretch to pull on over the hips.
- For the pattern envelope prototypes we used a double sided ponte in teal/black (sold out) and a red wool blend ponte (sold out).
- Make it in one of our Parisian, Parisian Plus or Barcelona knits and it is very elongating and slimming. Use any of our 5 Star, Gateway or Premier pontes too.
- Adjust the length and hip/waist ease before cutting.
- Lay out the pattern the way it will be sewn to visualize how the pieces go together.
- Transfer markings carefully.
- Color code the matching points with chalk or different color thread & tailor tacks.
- I use embroidery thread to make tailor's tacks as the thickness and 'tooth' of the thread stays in place.
These photos show laying the pieces out flat to see how the skirt is constructed...
The Tricky Bit
Once the skirt is constructed, the bell shape is formed by tucking under the shaped piece to form the sculptural hem. The video shows how.